Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren (August 17, 2026) announced the cancellation of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination late on Monday (August 18, 2026), 24 days after students began the protest over alleged irregularities in recruitment exams in the State.

The decision was taken during a four-hour emergency Cabinet meeting.

He also announced that all examinations conducted since 2014 by TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL), a blacklisted agency, will be cancelled.

He further said a committee will be formed under senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to suggest reforms in the conduct of examinations in the State.

Protestors celebrate after the Jharkhand government cancelled the JSSC-CGL exam in Ranchi on August 17, 2026. | Photo Hundreds of students who have gathered at Ranchi’s Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium, demanding that the 2025 JSSC-CGL examination be cancelled, celebrated the Chief Minister’s announcement.

A few of them even cried.

However, Ravindra Paswan, leader of the JPSC-JSSC Reform Manch, which has been leading the protest, said the agitation would continue as their key demand of a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into alleged examination irregularities had not been met.

Editorial | On the student protests in Jharkhand “This is the first step and first victory; our protest will continue until the CBI inquiry takes place into the irregularities.

The demand for a CBI inquiry has not been accepted yet.

We have won a major battle, but there is still more to be done,” Mr.

Paswan said.

Earlier, addressing the press, Mr.

Soren said, “Today, we held a special Cabinet meeting to bring this matter to a conclusion.

After considering all aspects, we have decided to cancel all examinations conducted by the TDPL, the results published by the TDPL, and the selection or participation of any candidates through it.

All activities undertaken by the TDPL in this regard have also been cancelled.

The Cabinet has also decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL exam.” Mr.

Soren added that had the previously established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) been strictly adhered to, such flaws would not have arisen.

He noted that the state government has enacted stringent laws to curb malpractice in examinations and is now set to implement several new reforms in the examination process to ensure complete transparency.

CID raids underway at JSSC office in connection with Jharkhand recruitment exam irregularities “Investigations by both the SIT [Special Investigation Team] and the CID [Crime Investigation Department of the State police] have revealed several shocking facts.

Since the investigation is ongoing, it is not possible to disclose every detail openly.

The matter involves a complex and interconnected network of various companies that have operated here at different times.

The CID will investigate all examinations conducted from 2014 to the present,” Mr.

Soren said.

Reacting to the cancellation of the examination and further action taken by the government, Jharkhand Loktantrik Krantikari Morcha (JLKM) leader Devendra Nath Mahto, who has been on a hunger strike for the past 16 days, said, “Congratulations to all the protesting students, and I also congratulate CM Hemant Soren, who listened to our demands.

The most important thing is that the investigation should be conducted meticulously and every corrupt individual involved be apprehended.

The masterminds behind these gangs must be caught.” After Jharkhand protesters burn Soren, Rahul effigies, State Government calls for fourth round of talks Leader of the Opposition in the Jharkhand Legislative Assembly Babulal Marandi also congratulated the students with a post on X.

“Congratulations and best wishes to the students who have been protesting for the past 23 days at the Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium in Ranchi.

You have demonstrated your unwavering resolve, unity, and tenacity, forcing the government to bend.

The cancellation of JSSC-CGL is a major victory for you,” Mr.

Marandi said.

He added, “The Chief Minister, who was arrogantly dismissing the students’ allegations, was compelled to accept your demands with a shamed expression.

However, the government’s refusal to order a CBI investigation clearly shows that its intentions are still not right.

The cancellation of the exam is just one step.” Devendra Nath Mahto | The making of an agitator Mr.

Marandi added that a fair investigation was essential into the alleged involvement of Mr.

Soren’s friend Vinod Singh in JSSC-CGL irregularities and the role of then JSSC officials Neeraj Sinha, Sudhir Gupta, and Prashant and the Chief Minister’s residence.

“The allegations related to the role of Minister Sudivya Kumar Sonu and the JMM district president of Giridih in the irregularities should also be investigated.

Until a CBI investigation happens, the deep-seated ‘leprosy’ in this entire system will not be cleansed.

If decisive action is not taken against the guilty, people entrenched in the system will again dare to sell the jobs of the youth,” Mr.

Why are the students protesting in Ranchi? | Explained Meanwhile, the CID probing the case of alleged irregularities in the examination conducted searches at the office of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC).

Sources said that the CID also questioned JSSC Secretary Sudhir Gupta.

A separate team of the CID also conducted a search at Mr.

Gupta’s residence in Ranchi.

The CID also arrested B.N.

Ram, who served as the Personal Secretary to former Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) member Ajita Bhattacharya.

Former Chairman of JPSC L.

Khiangte has been sent to judicial custody following 48 hours of interrogation.

He was arrested on August 10, 2026.

Earlier in the day, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi urged Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren to personally meet protesting students.

In a letter dated August 14, Mr.

Gandhi said the students’ demands were legitimate, and their peaceful protest deserved the government’s support.