Europe live with Jakub KrupaUkraine Russia launches ‘massive attack’ on Kyiv and surrounding region – Europe live Zelenskyy says Russia had been preparing for a long time, combining different types of missiles LIVE Updated 2m ago Jakub Krupa Thu 20 Aug 2026 08.42 BSTFirst published on Thu 20 Aug 2026 08.35 BST Share Key events 2m ago 18 people hospitalised after overnight attacks on Kyiv 9m ago Morning opening: Russia strikes Kyiv once again Zelenskyy says there is destruction in Kyiv and the region, as well as in the Odesa and Chernihiv regions.

A boy looks at a damaged residential building following a Russian strike in Kyiv.

There is destruction in Kyiv and the region, as well as in the Odesa and Chernihiv regions,” Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskyy said.

The attack will likely draw further attention to Ukraine’s shortage of air defence missiles.

“While Moscow is investing in ballistic missiles and escalation, such strikes do not always receive the response they should from the world.

And as long as Ukraine does not have enough anti-ballistic defence, Russia will not consider peace seriously,” Zelenskyy warned this morning.

Pledging with allies to send more Patriot interceptors to help protect Ukraine, he stressed that “every additional missile saves the lives of our people.” More drone attack warnings from Kyiv were going live this morning.

Responding to the overnight attacks, Kyiv mayor Vitali Klitschko declared Friday a day of mourning in the city.

I will bring you more updates throughout the day.

It’s Thursday, 20 August 2026, it’s Jakub Krupa here, and this is Europe Live.

Good morning.

Key events 2m ago 18 people hospitalised after overnight attacks on Kyiv 9m ago Morning opening: Russia strikes Kyiv once again Kyiv mayor Vitali Klitschko said 18 people have been hospitalised after the overnight attacks, with emergency and clean-up response continuing at various sites across three districts of the city.

“The capital is recovering from a massive enemy attack,” he said in a video on Telegram.

“Residential and non-residential buildings, a school, and a children’s hospital were damaged,” he added.

The intensity of overnight strikes on Ukraine prompted Polish authorities to send emergency alerts to residents in two border regions.

“A massive air attack is underway in western Ukraine.

Follow the alerts,” read the notification sent to mobile phones just after 4am.

The alert was called off about 90 minutes later.

Poland’s military command also said it had mobilised aircraft and activated air defences aimed at protecting its airspace in areas bordering Ukraine.

At least 12 people were killed and 40 injured in a series of Russian attacks on the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv.

Explore more on these topicsUkraine Europe live with Jakub Krupa Russia Europe Vladimir Putin Volodymyr Zelenskyy Share Reuse this content Most viewed Most viewed